By Hannah Kelly
So today is International Women’s day. A day dedicated to promoting greater awareness for women’s equality, but also, I believe, a great chance to celebrate strong female role models. Anyone who knows me will know there is one celebrity that I worship. Not only is she beautiful, strong and talented but she is also an amazing advocate for feminism. She’s the one and only Sasha Fierce/Queen B/Foxy Cleopatra. She is Beyoncé.
On top of slaying every performance and being pretty much the most fabulous human on this earth, Beyoncé has contributed a lot to the feminist movement. I’ve heard a lot of people use the argument that “Oh, but she dances around in skimpy clothes, so she’s kind of a contradiction to feminism, isn’t she?”
I think those people need to sit down and look up the definition of feminism.
“Feminist: the person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.”
Plain and simple. This has nothing to do with how you dress or how you look.
‘So what exactly has Beyoncé done that’s so great?’, some might ask. Well, here’s just five of the many amazing contributions that Yoncé has made to the movement:
1. She donated to the Women’s Fund for Scotland charity that seeks to help women facing all different types of challenges including disability, single parenthood, and domestic abuse.
2. She tours with her all-girl band, Suga Mama. This includes bassists, drummers, guitarists, horn players, keyboardists and percussionists and background singers.
3. She is the co-founder of the Chime For Change organisation, which seeks to get education, health and justice for women all over the world, including rape victims, young mothers, human trafficking victims, and girls that can’t pay for education.
4. She opened a cosmetology centre, Phoenix House, which helps women who are coming out of drug and alcohol rehab to get their license.
5. She is the CEO of her own company, Parkwood Entertainment, where the majority of her employees are female.
Beyoncé is an inspiring woman who works hard, and is good at what she does. I strongly believe that she is a great role model for young women like myself. So, continue to win at life, Beyoncé. You truly are Flawless!